On cold winter nights one of my favorite treats happens to be chocolate chip cookies still warm and gooey from the oven but I do crave them in the middle of summer also. Who am I kidding I will take them any day of the week! You can bet that anytime you come to my house you will find cookie dough in the freezer just waiting to be baked. When my copy arrived (the day it was released ~ I love that amazon delivers books the day they are released) I wasted no time cooking (slowly) my way through his book. I still have so many recipes to make but I keep repeating the recipes that we love. This book is rarely in my bookcase, my kids love looking through it. Last year my daughter picked her birthday dessert from it, she has a birthday coming up and it will be fun to see if she wants something from this book again.
There are a few things about these cookies that take them from a normal chocolate chip cookie to something special. The combination of almond extract, cinnamon and smoked salt makes them killer indeed. These have been my favorite since the first time I made them. We make them often and always send some to our teachers, bus drivers, and mail lady ~ they are always enjoyed!
Killer Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield Four Dozen 2 inch cookies
1/2 lb (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, diced
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup packed Brown Sugar (light or dark)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Almond Extract
1 Large Egg
2 Large Egg Yolks
2 Cups Flour (all purpose)
1 Cup Cake Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
2 Cups Chocolate Chips (mix of 60% cacao, mini chips, or 14 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped)
Flaked Smoked Salt – or Maldon Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets, line with parchment paper if your pans will not easily release the cookies.
2. In a mixer beat the diced butter and both sugars on medium-low until no butter lumps remain and it looks like a thick paste. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix until combined. With the mixer on low speed add the egg and egg yolks one at a time making sure that they are fully combined between additions.
3. In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
4. With the mixer on low speed slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl if needed. Remove the bowl from the mixer and add in chocolate chips or chopped chocolate stirring by hand.
5. Using a small (1/2 oz) cookie scoop place the dough 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.* Lightly press down on the dough and sprinkle with flaked smoked salt. Bake cookies 11-13 minutes until the bottoms are browning and the cookies are set. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
*I freeze portioned cookie dough and bake as directed adding a few minutes to baking time for frozen dough. Add smoked salt just before baking.
Adapted from Sugar Rush
Disclaimer: This post contains amazon affiliate links.