Almond Milk Yogurt in the Instant Pot

Almond Milk Yogurt, Instant Pot
I love having a yogurt and fruit parfait for breakfast. However do not like the price of non dairy yogurt so of course I had to make my own. I was thrilled when my copy of The Homemade Vegan Pantry arrived last summer with an almond milk yogurt recipe. I had made soy yogurt many times and I just don’t care for the taste of it though I have tried since it is fairly easy to make. I immediately made the almond yogurt and decided that this recipe alone was worth buying this book. Trust me there are a ton of other great recipes in the book that I have made also. This yogurt is creamy and sweet and slightly tart just like the dairy version. This yogurt takes a little time to get it started but you will be so happy when it is stocked in your refrigerator. I know that I am sad when I am at the bottom of my last jar. I love my raw coconut yogurt but it doesn’t have active cultures so I try to rotate my two yogurt recipes. This yogurt is also fantastic in a mango lassi.

Almond Milk Yogurt Instant Pot
Almond Milk Yogurt InstantPot

Almond Milk Yogurt
Yield about 4 Cups

4 Cups Almond Milk (I use refrigerated unsweetened simple truth almond milk)
1/3 Cup Raw Cashews
2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder
1/4 teaspoon Agar Powder
1/4 Cup Plain Almond or Coconut yogurt (I look for one that has 6 live cultures)*
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup,optional
1 teaspoon Vanilla, Optional

1. Place the first 4 ingredients into a blender and process until completely smooth. Transfer to a saucepan. Over medium heat stirring constantly bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer until the mixture has thickened about four to five minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer the mixture to a bowl (so that it will cool quicker) and allow to cool to 110 degrees. Stir the yogurt into the cooled mixture (and optional maple syrup and vanilla), and divide into sanitized mason jars.

2. While waiting for the mixture to cool sanitize the mason jars and instant pot. Add one cup of water to the instant pot liner and place the steamer rack and three clean pint jars in the liner. Place lid on pressure cooker and set knob to sealing. Steam for one minute. Remove steamer rack and discard water.

3. Place the filled mason jars into the instant pot liner. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and press yogurt and adjust time to 8 hours (add additional time if you like your yogurt more tart.) The timer will show 8 hours and then revert back to 0, it will then count up until it reaches the time you set. Refrigerate yogurt up to two weeks and eat it with your favorite toppings or add to smoothies. We like ours with fresh fruit and granola.

*I like to make this yogurt twice in a week and use the same jar of storebought yogurt for both batches.

Adapted from The Homemade Vegan Pantry

Disclaimer: This post contains amazon affiliate links.

Almond Milk Yogurt, InstantPot

35 comments

1. Keenan G says:

Do you have to use store bought yogurt at all ( can you add your own probiotics via capsules) and also are the cashews necessary (I ask do to being on a diet that limits nuts minus milk from them.)

• Lindsay says:

You can leave out the cashews, the yogurt will not be quite as thick. I have only used yogurt as my starter but I am sure that you can use probiotics as long as they have active live cultures.

• LINDA MCENERNY says:

I use the stem crowns from hot peppers (about 2-3 per jar) to culture the first batch – just throw them on top without mixing in. (wash the peppers BEFORE removing the stem & crown. This is a standard middle-eastern method using the live strains that collect under pepper crowns. If you make fresh yogurt within the week you can use a few spoons of the previous batch as the culture. Sure beats having to buy new cultures all the time.
      I always make sure my peppers are from an organic source (my own plants)

• Lindsay says:

Very interesting. I have never heard of that before, does it flavor the yogurt at all? I also grow my own peppers I will have to try it next summer. Thanks for the tip.

• Lindsay says:

I buy the refrigerated simple truth almond milk. I will add that to the post to make it easier to understand. I do think that it would be fantastic with homemade almond milk.

2. Jennifer Morey says:

Can’t wait to try making this in my new IP. What are the little balls I see in your picture, with what looks like sesame seeds in them? Thanks!

3. Jennifer Morey says:

It looks so cool! Going to keep my eyes open for some next time I’m shopping. One more question regarding the yogurt. Can vanilla yogurt be used instead of plain as the starter? Thanks!! 🙂

• Lindsay says:

Yes vanilla yogurt will work also. The store closest to me doesn’t carry plain so I use the vanilla often. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do!

4. Charlie says:

Greetings,

Have you tried this with Vanilla or Chocolate Almond Milk? Also, when you put yogurt in the mason jars, I assume the lids don’t get put on? Any help is appreciated.

Charlie

• Lindsay says:

Hi Charlie, I have not tried it with any milk other than unsweetened almond milk. I would think that it would work with the vanilla and possibly the chocolate but I am not sure. I do not put the lids on my mason jars until they have finished incubating. I hope that helps!

5. Eden Garner says:

Thank you, I can’t wait to make this! I’m new to my Instant Pot. I have a question, when I place the filled jars back into the Instant Pot after sanitizing them, do I keep the steamer rack in or remove it? I wasn’t sure if the jars need the rack while on the “yogurt” setting or if they can sit directly on the liner.
    Thank you!

6. Laura says:

I eat low carb as I am type 1 diabetic, and curious about some substitutions. Agar powder can I just use knox gelatine? may I use a sugar free maple syrup or d you need the sugar for the bacteria? Also I was hoping to use some probiotic tablets as all premade coconut yogurt has cornstarch in it, so would I have to make any changes to this recipie?

• Lindsay says:

Hi Laura, You can leave the maple syrup out of the recipe, I skip it quite often. I have never used gelatin – I do think that it would change the texture. You can always give it a try and see how it sets for you.

• Lindsay says:

I have never timed it from the start. Depending on your stove it could take about 15 minutes. I always time mine once it starts simmering. I hope this helps.

7. Jamie says:

Hi
    I attempted to make this today and it came out with water at the bottom of the jar and almond milk at the top. Not yogurt consistency at all. Has this ever happened to you? I’m wondering what I did wrong.

• Lindsay says:

I have not had this happen. It could be that you did not cook it long enough on the stove top. That step is really important to thicken the yogurt. Did you bring it to a simmer and wait for the mixture to thicken? I have timed the simmering step quite a few times and four minutes at a simmer thickens my mixture. I know that everyone’s stove is a little different.

8. KT says:

Do you have to use the jars? Can you put the yogurt mixture directly into the instant pot and let it culture? And how long do you refrigerate it before eating? Thanks!

• Lindsay says:

I have never made the yogurt directly in the pot. Since the yogurt really needs to cool to set I am not sure how it would work. You can always give it a try. I would be sure to sanitize the inner liner before adding the yogurt mixture. I let mine rest overnight in the refrigerator.

9. Colette Bolster says:

Most of the regular yogurt recipes for the Instant Pot that I have seen don’t utilize jars. It’s just done in one big batch in the liner pot. Have you ever tried that method using your ingredients?

• Lindsay says:

10. Michelle says:

I just tried Almond milk after having great success with whole milk but I did not but pectin or a thickener in an it came out like almond milk water. Can I add thickener to the batch already through the process and start over as to not throw away a global of almond milk??

• Lindsay says:

I have never done that but it should work. You will need to add starter to it once again since you will simmer the mixture.

11. JG says:

I’ve just made a batch – just in the pot, not jars, and I had to sub the agar with some gelatin and the coconut yogurt with dairy yogurt. I’m pleased to report that it all worked -but I overslept and it was incubating for getting on for 12 hrs so it has a rather cheesy tang!

Think I’ll be looking for savoury recipes to use it in. 🙂